When should you see a periodontist? Understanding the Risks of Neglecting Gum Health
At Ward Periodontics, we believe in the power of preventive care and early intervention when it comes to maintaining optimal oral health. When your general dentist refers you to a periodontist, it’s crucial to understand the reasons behind this recommendation and the potential risks of not following through with it.
Why you might need to see a periodontist:
- Gum disease diagnosis and treatment: If your dentist has detected signs of gum disease, a periodontist specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of this condition. Ignoring gum disease can lead to more severe issues, including tooth loss, bone deterioration, and systemic health implications.
- Gum recession concerns: Receding gums can expose the delicate roots of your teeth. This may lead to sensitivity, an uneven gum line, and an increased risk of decay. A periodontist can assess the extent of the recession and recommend appropriate treatment options. Connective tissue grafting is one treatment option that can prevent further damage.
- Dental implant evaluation: If you are considering dental implants to replace missing teeth, a periodontist plays a vital role in evaluating your overall oral health, assessing bone density, and determining the feasibility of the procedure. Their expertise ensures successful and long-lasting implant outcomes.
Risks of not following through with a referral to a periodontist:
- Progression of oral health problems: Ignoring or delaying the recommended visit to a periodontist can allow oral health issues to worsen over time. Gum disease can progress, causing irreversible damage to your gums, bone, and teeth. These issues may result in extensive and costly treatments in the future.
- Compromised overall health: Gum disease has been linked to various systemic health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, respiratory problems, and complications during pregnancy. Neglecting a periodontal referral means potentially jeopardizing not just your oral health, but your overall well-being as well.
- Missed opportunity for individualized treatment: Periodontists are highly trained specialists who possess in-depth knowledge and advanced techniques to address specific gum and periodontal issues. By not following through with a referral, you may miss out on the opportunity to receive personalized treatment options and interventions that can effectively restore and maintain your oral health.
At Ward Periodontics, we prioritize your well-being and are committed to providing exceptional care and service. Our experienced team of periodontal specialists will ensure you receive the highest standard of treatment in a comfortable and supportive environment.
Remember, when your dentist refers you to a periodontist, it’s not just a recommendation – it’s a proactive step towards safeguarding your oral health and overall well-being. Take action and schedule your appointment with a periodontist today.
If you have any questions or concerns about your referral or would like to learn more about the importance of periodontal care, please don’t hesitate to contact our experienced and welcoming team. We’re here to partner with you on your journey to a healthier smile.