If you think brushing and flossing is enough to keep periodontal disease away during your lifetime, think again. While daily brushing and flossing are among the most important things you can do for your oral health, failing to have routine examinations can cause you major problems in the future.
If you are unfamiliar with the causes and effects of periodontal disease, consider the following facts:
- 70 Million people have periodontal disease.
- It’s the number one chronic infection in the world.
- It’s the number one reason for tooth loss.
- 50% of people over age 30 have periodontal disease.
- 70% of people over age 60 have periodontal disease.
- It’s a silent disease that causes little pain until the end stage of the disease when losing teeth is the only option for treatment.
- It is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
- If you are diabetic you are more likely to develop periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can make diabetes more difficult to control.
- Diabetes can make periodontal disease more difficult to control.
- Periodontal disease is preventable for most people.
Periodontal disease can become a serious issue in your lifetime, if left undiagnosed. Fortunately, periodontal disease can also be treated, managed, and even prevented through concern for your own oral health.
Take the first step towards achieving optimum oral health by booking your appointment with Ward Periodontics today. Let our team help you obtain the healthy smile you want/ deserve!